Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Spelling

The other day I was writing an email to a friend and THAT WORD came up. Ugh the bane of my existence! The thorn in my flesh! Why after having misspelled it 10,000 times can't I figure out the proper spelling of it? The word? Definitly, defenitly, definetly, definitely. Ah, there it is! I get all the consonants in the right place. It's those tricky e's and i's. Most of the time I try and figure out the right way before cheating and using the spell checker. Although, I do use the squiggly red line to know if I've gotten it right. I must have developed some kind of mental block, because, really, I'm not a bad speller. It's just THAT WORD!

I only decided to post this after I found out that Cameron has a similar word. Only he doesn't try and get it right anymore. He has given up on it entirely and simply misspells it on purpose and then right clicks on it to see what the proper spelling is. His word? Wednesday. Truthfully I used to have problems with that word too (a long time ago in elementary school). But a teacher told me to pronounce it, in my head, while writing it "Wed-nes-day," and I haven't had a problem with it since. I also used to have problems with "beautiful," until I figured out a similar technique. And I think it was in high school that my mom pointed out that I was misspelling February (I spelled it Febuary). You'd think a teacher would have pointed it out to me before then...

So, do you have any of THOSE WORDS?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I have a problem with the same word you do (I am not even going to type it because I know I will get it wrong). I always get messed up on that one word...always! Thank goodness for spell check. Another word that I always have problems with is niece (because of the saying that I was taught, i before e except after c, so that always throws me for a loop).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feild. I mean field. I really didn't do that on purpose! Haha. If I'm not at a computer, I have to write it out both ways and then decide which one looks right. You would think I would learn...but nope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too have a problem with your same word. Dave is always telling me I misspell it on our blog. Since so many of have a problem with the same word, shouldn't we petition to just have the spelling changed?:) Also, I do the exact same thing when I spell Wednesday. Every time. Just did it then. And for some reason every year, around the holiday, I end up spelling Christmas, like Chrsitmas. Happy we have spell check!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny. We all have those words. My brother named his daughter Ellie, but their last name has an I sound that is spelled ei, so the poor girl is going to be even more confused! "Definitely" is certainly a tough one (so I just use something else instead!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have issues with conscience. It just doesn't look right, even if I spell it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me it's judgment. Does it have an "e" after the "g"? And accidently. Or is it accidentally? They're both in the online dictionary I just used.

    ReplyDelete